Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is this event for?
- Outreach Tulane is Tulane University’s largest day of public service, typically with over 1,000 students participating in a wide variety of service projects throughout the city. This year we aim to get 1,500 volunteers. Outreach Tulane provides an opportunity for students to reach out of the Tulane community and into the larger New Orleans community in which we are a part of.
2. When is it?
- Outreach Tulane is on September 1st, 2018.
The event takes place from 8:00AM-2:00PM. Check-in/On-site Registration begins at 7AM.
3. How do I register?
- Online registration will open in August during the first week of classes.
- Stop by our Outreach Tulane table outside the LBC during the first week of school!
- Graduate students, International Students, students within the School of Continuing Studies, and students of the downtown/Elmwood campuses will also have the opportunity to register. More information to come.
4. Can we register as a group?
- This year you will be able to register for Outreach with a group of friends! Encourage some friends to join you in helping the community this year! It’ll be a fun bonding experience!
5. What will we be doing?
- Great question! Our volunteers will be going out into the New Orleans community and volunteering for a day. Current volunteer sites have yet to be decided. Keep posted for further updates.
6. What do I need to wear? Do I need to bring anything?
- BE SURE TO WEAR CLOSED-TOE SHOES! Don’t bring cameras, iPods, or other expensive items that you don’t want to lose/get ruined/etc. Make sure you wear clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty. Please remember to wear sunscreen as most projects will be working outside or have an outside component.
7. Will there be food?
- There will be a light breakfast provided before you leave for your sites and pizza when you get back!
8. Who is hosting Outreach Tulane?
- Outreach Tulane is put on by CACTUS (the Community Action Council of Tulane University Students) which is a fancy way of saying the Service Action Council of the University. CACTUS is the umbrella organization for over 40 different service projects and clubs. Check out our website for more information!
9. This seems really cool! How do I become more involved?
- To get more involved with Outreach Tulane and other awesome service experiences check out the Activities Expo, which will highlight all of the different organizations on campus. Also check out the CACTUS website!
10. What is a PC?
- A PC is a project coordinator, a student assigned to a particular project site who leads fellow classmates in a particular service project. They report directly executive board and are the liaisons between the board and the community partners. Their service is invaluable.
- If you are an upperclassman and interested in being a PC, please email Maggie O’Donnell at email@example.com or Maddie Blair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. How do I join the leadership team in the future?
- Please contact Jake Hurwitz at email@example.com if you have any interest becoming involved with the executive board in the future!
12. What if I liked my project and want to stay involved with my Community Partner?
- Check out the Center for Public Services’ complete list of Tulane Community Partners here. All contact information is provided for you to keep in touch with your partner organizations.
13. What’s the best way to organize my own day of service?
- Please contact Jake Hurwitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a meeting with the CACTUS Exec Board.
14. What happens if it rains?
- It won’t rain.
- But if it does, ponchos will be provided. If for some reason a natural disaster strikes, we have a reschedule date of September 15th, 2018.
- But it definitely won’t rain.
15. Do you have to be 18 to participate?
- If you are under 18, you will need the signature of a parent or guardian on this Student Liability Release Form. The form can be sent to Nicole Ralston at email@example.com.
16. Can I change my site?
- No, students are not allowed to change their site unless they have medical reasons necessitating a site change. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you feel you fall into this category.
17. How do I become a sponsor?
- Interested parties are requested to contact the Executive Board at email@example.com
18. I cannot participate. How do I unregister?
- Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org